School Safety: Stepping Stone School Emergency Preparedness Plan
Stepping Stone School is committed to every facet of safety and security for the children we care for each day. That’s why, in addition to all of the safety lessons incorporated into our classroom curriculum, we have developed an Emergency Preparedness Plan that is implemented in all Stepping Stone Schools. This plan details the policies and procedures for handling a variety of emergency situations, allowing Stepping Stone School to be fully prepared to protect our children, staff and families.
This plan incorporates several features that allow for the highest level of security and emergency preparedness. It was developed as an effective and comprehensive security and crisis plan that will promote the safety and welfare of students and faculty, prepare students and faculty to take appropriate action in the event of an emergency and allow effective and efficient communication with parents and families.
Below you will find a list of several of the many layers of security that are in place to prevent and/or respond to an emergency.
- Building Features and Layout: Stepping Stone School campuses feature multiple design and security elements to proactively prevent emergency situations in the first place. All of our campuses feature front doors locked with a key pad to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to the building. As an added layer of security, the principal’s office is located at the front of the building so they are able to monitor those coming and going . Furthermore, many of our schools feature playgrounds behind the building making it more difficult for anyone to access the yards and to keep children away from cars on parking lots and streets.
- Faculty Trainings: All staff at Stepping Stone School undergo a safety training upon hire that is renewed annually. This training includes CPR/First Aid, classroom and building safety, and a thorough review of the Stepping Stone School Emergency Preparedness Plan. All employees are shown where all fire extinguishers are located on their first day at a campus. Stepping Stone school also boasts multiple in-house certified CPR/First Aid trainers.
- Detailed Plans for Various Emergencies: Stepping Stone School has comprehensive plans of action for multiple emergency situations including lockdowns, severe weather, fire, and evacuations to name a few. These plans are shared with local emergency responders in order to provide a complete and comprehensive emergency solution. Emergency Preparedness Kits are located on each campus, and each location has a person(s) designated to retrieve it in the event of an emergency.
- Regular Drill Practices: All Stepping Stone School campuses practice the procedures laid forth in the Emergency Preparedness Plan. All schools have regularly scheduled monthly fire drills. Other drills, including, severe weather drills and Lock down and hide procedures are practiced quarterly. Evacuation maps detailing emergency routes and evacuation sites are located in every room of every campus.
- Parent Communication: In the event of an emergency situation Stepping Stone School is able to use the Platinum Learning Link™ powered by Tadpoles to send out information. In this way we are able to reach all of our families instantly without having to rely on slower communication techniques such as a phone tree. Stepping Stone School is also able to use the website and school specific Facebook pages to relay important information.
- Ever Evolving: Stepping Stone School prides itself on never being satisfied with the status quo. To this end, we are constantly evaluating and assessing our procedures to ensure that we are providing the most up-to-date and comprehensive care and security to the children and families we serve.
Stepping Stone School sees the safety of our children, families, and faculty as our highest priority. To that end, we continue to maintain our focus on those policies and practices that provide the safety and security our families deserve and expect.